Friday, October 25, 2013

Crayon Mosaic

I just finished working with 6 classes of Kindergarten and 1st graders to create collaborative pieces of art using crayons.  



 We started by collecting used, broken crayons.  Many of us have a collection of old crayons so finding the supplies was easy.

Next, I had the students help peel and break the crayons in to small pieces.  To make the peeling easier, I used an Exacto knife to score the crayon wrappers.  We spent time sorting the crayons by color to make it easier to put the project together.






I designed the 6 pieces to either stand alone or put together to create two scenes of the Gorge.  They each contained the sky, mountain and river or wildflowers.  I drew and colored the designs with crayon and then made another copy using melted crayons and dots to get an idea of what the final projects may look like.


Working in small groups, the students worked with me to glue the crayons into 15" x15" wooden frames.





The finished projects!








9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me what glue you used to glue the crayons in the b

Unknown said...

I used Tacky Glue.

Unknown said...

Where did you get your frames?

Unknown said...

I had my husband make them for me. I found something similar at IKEA, but they just weren't the size I wanted.

Anonymous said...

How many boxes of crayons did you need?

Mike said...

Thanks for the idea. I made a mosaic of our school mascot. I broke the crayons into fifths, but it sure took a lot of time.

Dori said...

Can this be resin after completing?

Anonymous said...

How did you guide the kids to know where to put the crayons?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Amazing project. Did you cut the crayons and if so how? They would have to be flat at the bottom right? Abrenner@nsboro.k12.ma.us